Monday, November 19, 2012

The Music Lover, Ch. 15

So I arrived at my office and was surprised to see Umphrey's McGee waiting for me.  They asked if they could hang out with me for awhile because they had a concert upstairs later in the evening.  I didn't mind.  It was actually pretty cool.   But I wondered how they found my office.   We just moved to a new location last week.  I remember giving them my card the last time I saw them--but that was for a different address.

So I started taking pictures of Umphrey's McGee in my office and then posting them on Facebook.   It was so cool.  Everyone dug the photos.   It was like "hey everybody, look I'm with Umphrey's McGee and isn't it neat they are in my office?"  I thought of asking them to take some pictures of me with some of the band members, but I decided not to because I didn't want to appear like I was that big of a fan.

So for the next several hours I was hanging out with Umphrey's Mcgee.   We went into my garage and they were playing around with feedback from their guitars.   I thought the feedback kinda sounded like the feedback in the Gang of Four song called "Anthrax."  You know the one with the bass line that goes like " Ba ba ba ba bum ba ba ba ba."    So I started humming "Ba ba ba ba bum ba ba ba ba."  And Umphrey's McGee said, "hey what's that, it sounds pretty bitching."  And I said, "Siri, play some Gang of Four, Anthrax.   And she did.  And the Umphrey's people started jamming to it.  And they said, "wow, that's cool, we'll have to play it tonight.   So they did.

And that is the story of how Umphrey's McGee played a cover of a Gang of Four song at one of their concerts.

You would have thought that was the end of the story.  But it wasn't.  After the concert one of the Umphrey's dudes kept hinting that they didn't have a place to crash because their tour bus broke down or their toilet was broken or something like that.  So I let them stay with me, which was fine.  However, I found out later that they drank all the Ketel One Vodka that I had stored in my freezer.   But they are rock stars so I guess that they were entitled to it.   I never hassled them about it.

But twenty years later, on July 10, 2011, I was in bar and I remembered that those Umphey's McGee guys drank all my vodka that long time ago.     And on that day, I started writing a blog about it.  It was called Tatoo You, Ch. 1:-).


(in tubac, on the plane, with the irish ranked number one for the first time in ages)

No comments:

Post a Comment