Tuesday, November 6, 2012

One of Brigham Young's wives, Ch. 1

Editors Note:   Brigham Young was perhaps the most famous polygamist of the early Latter Day Saint movement, marrying a total of 55 wives.  By the time of his death, Young had 57 children by 16 of his wives.

The following diary allegedly written by Brigham Young's wife number 23 was recently discovered in an abandoned mine shaft near Park City, Utah.  Any similarities here with actual historical characters or events is highly unlikely.  In fact, what follows is completely made up and there is not a word of truth to anything that follows.  Even though this is alleged to be a diary from one of Brigham Young's wives, I can assure you that it is not such a diary.  It is most assuredly a hoax.   The premise that is is an actual diary of one of Brigham Young's wives or that it was found in an abandoned mine shaft is simply untrue.

Day 1:  We are now in Utah, but I don't see much change in the face of the land for the better; but I can't see much, as I have been quite sick for six or seven days.  I pray that the Lord has blessed me after my last congregation with Brig eight fortnights ago.   Crossed Green River Sunday evening with the help of Brother Edwards and Mendenhall, it is a beautiful stream of water, and plenty of trees on its banks.  Stopped at a station where our men were required to take the oath of allegiance to the United States government, our wagons were searched for gun powder, etc.

Day 2:  A stage passed with two of our missionaries, Brother Detmer and one of the Brigham Young Jrs..  Me hast difficulty distinguishing one from the next.  Arrived at Fort Bridger, a nice place, with a good and substantial building.  The days are warm, the nights cold.  Very cold.  Colder than...prehayps me better not sayeth it.    Last evening we bought some onions and potatoes, which were quite a treat. They did us good, as we were getting the canker bad, from so long a diet of salt pork, but I trust our journey is nearly over. The earth at this place is of a reddish color, and the mountains look somewhat greener than they have for some time.

Day 3:  Passed through some mountains in a round about way, they look solemn in their grandeur; rising one above another, and their verdure of many colored hues and rocks of various shades looked beautiful to me; if I had the materials I should paint some of them.  Nothing better to do, unless providence intervene.  

Day 4:   Passed through Echo Canyon. The scenery is beautiful to behold, such rocks I never saw. Saw a few houses and potato patches, also a mail station which looks comfortable. I think from the appearance of things, Uncle McMahon feeds his men and animals pretty well. I feel weak today, prehaps the sickness of the morning is upon me.    Camped near the town of Weber. Came over a narrow road on the side of a mountain. It looked dangerous. Came to W. Ainge's Ranch, he is rich in cattle and sheep.

Day 5:   Rained last night for the first time since we left the Platte River. I hope it has laid the dust. I think it is the fourth rain we have had on our journey so far. Camped at a station in dust enough to smother one.

Day 6:  Arrived in Salt Lake City on Emigration Square.  My heart was saddened with the death of my aunt Mary.   She was the parent of ten children.   Her husband with glorious blessings sired another 38 with other wives.  Surely blessed.  (the rest of this page of the diary is not legible).

No comments:

Post a Comment