Saturday, March 19, 2016

A Supposedly Fun Thing I Will Never Do Again During the March 2016 Sesshin

ALL OF THE BELOW ALLEGEDLY OCCURRED DURING DOKUSAN:

Teacher:  Who is dong Zazen?

Student:   What you said yesterday during the Dharma talk "Zazen doing Zazen doing Zazen."  

Teacher:  That's a concept.  Show me who does Zazen.  

Student:   It's like my mind is too tired to do anything.  After sitting Zazen for a couple of days it can't do anything more. It stops.  There is no separation between anything.  Even the concept of separation fades.  Only immediacy.  Only now which is not now.  Only solidity.  One big undifferentiated chunk.  Mountains and rivers dong Zazen.  

Teacher:  Show me your original face before your parents were born. 

Student:  (silence)

Teacher:   Silence is fine.  Who is silent?   

Student:  It is me, Henri.   I am not really French, but I will now address you with this ridiculous French accent.   I will be your sommelier for this evening.   Tonight for you culinary enjoymant, (deliberately misspelled to reflect the heavy fake accent), we will be serving you roast duck confit (mispronounced Comfeeet) with arugula, broccoli and truffles.  For your drinking enjoyment, I will present to you, from the vineyards of Espana, Sola Fred, which presents with a lush bouquet on the palette especially if you are a coquette.

Teacher:  Who is it trying to be funny?

Student:  Ain't nobody but me.  Gonna lie for you, gonna die for you.   Ain't no fish in the sea...etc. etc.  

Teacher:  Who is it quoting old Supertramp lyrics to me?

Student:  So sorry (now speaking in Indian accept).  Tis me, Hari Krishna calling you from a Bombay.

Teacher: (rings the bell signaling the end of dokusan)

Student:  are you telling me not to hang around and learn what life's about?



No comments:

Post a Comment