Sunday, June 30, 2013

Anna, Ch. 1

After her mother left her father, Anna heard voices.

--Father:  I don't want you seeing that boy.  He's black.  In this country things are different.  Tell him you can't go out with him.

--Mother:   He's such a nice boy.  He's so polite.   I worry that you won't have any friends.  I know its been hard on you moving all the time.

I am the spy.   I'm changing my name to Julie.  They won't know me here.  I talk funny. 

--Grandmother:  "Its all your mothers fault.  Where are you going to college?  You've got to go to college in this country."

--Mother: "I don't know Anna, Veterinary School is very difficult to get into.   I don't want to see you fail like you did before."

But I don't want to get a business degree.

--Father:  I don't want you seeing that student at Augustana. What are his parents like?  Isn't his brother in trouble with the law?

He's dead now.  He was my closest friend.  He still comes to me at night, before I go to bed.

--Father:  "I want you to go to school near Springfield.  You can live at home."

I hate this job.  Its not what I want to do.  I want to get a job outdoors [sic].

--Father:  "You are lucky to have a job.  I worked hard to get you that job.   If you stay in this house, you have to respect me."

All men want to do is have sex.  I have morals and not am going to have a one night stand.  I want a family.   I want a house with a white picket fence in the backyard.

--Mother:  "Take you medication.   Have you seen your counselor?   I'm worried about you.  Its not normal to see things. What is all this talk about witchcraft?"

--Father:  "I don't want you seeing that man.  He's 35.   He's too old for you.   You are not allowed to contact him while you live in this house. "

I can't tell my father that we are talking on the phone or that I am staying with you tonight.

Mother:   "Danny is a nice guy, what time should I pick you up from his house tomorrow?"

I've got to leave Springfield.   This place is stifling me.   I need rent money.   I'm saving everything I ear.    I want to go to Colorado and work in a job involving conservation. 

My stomach hurts.  


No comments:

Post a Comment