Saturday, January 7, 2012

The Zen Guy, Ch. 10

For the Zen Guy the homage to Chiang was different.

The separation between the human and the divine in Michelangelo was the basic suffering and tragedy of the human condition:



The fingers never touched:


despite the longing from the caged animal to strive for more.

The separateness from the inner and outer

from the word and the representation

from the thought and the action

from the me and the you.


And Chiang had built an elaborate superstructure in the gap between heaven and earth

that was beautiful and complex

and self aware in its limitation:

From the short story "Understanding":

"I understand the mechanism of my own thinking. I know precisely how I know, and my understanding is recursive. I understand the infinite regress of this self knowing, not by proceeding step by step endlessly, but by apprehending the limit. The nature of recursive cognition is clear to me. A new meaning of the term "self-aware."
"Fiat logos. I know my mind in terms of a language more expressive than any I'd previously imagined. Like God creating order from chaos with an utterance. I make myself anew with this language. It is meta-self-descriptive and self editing; not only can it describe thought, it can describe and modify its own operations as well, at all levels. What Godel would have given to see this language, where modifying a statement causes the entire grammar to be adjusted.....I can perceive the gestalts; I see the mental structures forming, interacting...."

But deep inside, The Zen Guy felt that there was no separation, but the separation itself was just a construct of the mind.   This is what separated him from his brother.


(in the windy city with the reg, Krasivaya Devotchka),  edible duck, and beets K?

No comments:

Post a Comment