Monday, March 11, 2019

The Reconciliation

We reconciled in a dream, long before we saw each other again in real life.

I had been out of town for awhile, and neglected to take an important document with me.  It nagged at me the whole time.  But its importance was not clear--it was just something undone and oddly out of place.

When I returned from my absence, however, the document was there, not where I left it, but where I had meant to put it.  In other words, it was in its rightful place.  Where I should have put it had I been more observant in the first place. Some unseen force had intervened on my behalf.

Of course, I knew in an instant that it had to be her.  Only she possessed the knowledge contained in the document.  She must have found the document and put it in its right place for me while I was gone--and without me asking her or even knowing about her actions.  It could only be her.  And not without some considerable effort and expended on her part.  I did not know how she did it, but no one else would have recognized it for what it was and taken the appropriate steps.  In my minds eye, I saw her and her friend Tracy at a  store working behind the scenes while I was away.

Still in the dream, I was back in my old office of the last century.  And I saw everything was as I had left it.  And I felt and enormous sense of gratitude for what she had done.  And we walked down the stairway  and I saw that the building was crumbling around us despite the best efforts of the workers around us.

But it didn't seem to matter.  Nothing mattered.  For it felt like a huge burden had lifted and we were left with the mutual realization of the preciousness of life.  And we honored each other's presence in the silence of that quietest moment.

No comments:

Post a Comment