Saturday, October 7, 2017

"Batdorf and Rodney", Poetry Fight Club, 20 minute Project October 6,2017

The Prompt:  Go into Dumb records, pick out an album, write a poem in twenty minutes.

This is what followed.  Of course, this is not a poem.  I suppose there still is a point in having directions even if you are not going to follow them.

The album I selected was Batdorf and Rodney's album titled "Life is You."

"Life is You"?, Really Batdorf and Rodney?  Whose idea was that?  How would you know?

So I look for clues.  I carefully examine the album cover and discover on close inspection my first clue:  a phone number, 443-8486.


So I call the number.  No answer.  But an answering machine:

"Hi you have reached the number of Corey Witt of the News Gazette, I'm not here right now, please leave a message after the tone."

I leave no message.  But this must be another clue.  I look around Dumb records.  Ok, who do I know around here that knows more about media than anyone else in Central Illinois?

Bingo:  Rachel Otwell.  The source for all things news.

My investigation reaches a new level.

I interview Rachel and learn the following:

1.  There is a newspaper in Champaign, Illinois called the News Gazette
2.  This album likely came from the old "Error" records in Champaign which closed.  Rachel confirmed that Dumb records acquired many LP's from this former business during its inception.

The plot thickens.

So I dust for fingerprints.

And do a DNA test

And I can now conclusively tell you that the DNA test proves within an acceptable margin of error

that life is indeed you.

You were right all along Batdorf and Rodney.

I close my case.

No comments:

Post a Comment