Thursday, November 24, 2016

The Point of a Dubious Return, A Lawyer's Guide

When I established a law practice for the benefit of angels, I never expected to have a client. You can imagine my disappointment when one walked in.

He was rather tall, and dressed in the traditional garb with the white toga.   His wings were the largest I'd ever seen.  

"I want to file a lawsuit against God." he said in a very determined matter.

Sure you do, I replied.

"Well, get to it lawyer, I'm in a hurry to get this process started.  No telling what's going to happen to me after I file suit."

 Right away, I assured him, as you can see, I'm not burdened by other clients at the present moment.  I assume the customary allegations will be levied, correct?   Do you prefer Kafka or Job?  Or do you want to go with the Milton rant? The Faustian bargain?  

"I want something new.  Don't give me that same old dog and pony show.  I was something fresh, something snappy." 

Well if you want me to be creative, that will cost you extra. It will be the usual charge plus an extra assessment.  All my fees are set out on my business card.  

"File it by tomorrow at the latest.  Let me have your card in case I need to contact you tonight."

Certainly, I reached into my pocket and pulled out my business card and handed it to him. 

"Hey wise guy, this is a mirror, he exclaimed, "how am I going to contact you with this?  And where does it set out your fees?"

Look closely, I replied. And all will be revealed

The angel left with a snort, and I got to work on drafting his complaint.  I worked through the night.  I railed against many things.  I claimed that butterfly wings flapping in Tajikistan propelled a Hegelian steamboat across a lake in the set of Fantasy Island.  I alleged that 70 is the new 16 for a politician who created cemetery filled with narcissism which (unbeknownst to him) was quantumly entangled with an idle thought from the Middle Ages.  In the end, it was not my best work.  But I was under the gun and did not have time for a juicy paradox or a Zen koan.

On the next day, I walked to the clerk of court.  It was a brisk fall morning and I almost fell on the dew encrusted sidewalks.  The clerk accepted my complaint without comment.  I think he was still a little tired from dealing with all the absentee voters during the last election.  As the sun started to melt the ice, I looked forward to receiving my retainer in this case. 


No comments:

Post a Comment