Saturday, March 16, 2013

The Music Lover, Ch. 17; I have no recollection of events unfolding in manner in which you describe, Ch. 7

Candy-O, The Reprise, Part 2.

The song Candy-O contains everything that powered the Cars.   The beautiful alluring woman, out of reach;  the infatuation, the unrequited love:

Candy-O, I need you
Sunday dress, ruby ring
Candy-O, I need you so
Could you help me in?

Purple hum, assorted cards
Razor lights you'll bring
And all to prove you're on the move
And vanishing

Candy-O, I need you so
Candy-O, I need you so

Edge of night, distract yourself
Obstacles don't work
Homogenize
Decentralize
It's just a quirk

Different ways to see you through
All the same in the end
Peculiar star, a-that's who you are
Do you have to win?

And yes, the woman always wins in Candy-O.   If you don't believe me you can ask Ric Ocasek.  He'd probably tell you that its entirely out of your control Pip.  But in this case, like the sleek cold powerful automobile, Estelle will never give a rats ass for you, Pip.   You are left tagging along with her to her "Nightspots:"

Could be you're crossing the fine line
A silly driver, kinda off the wall
You keep it cool when it's t-t-tight
Eyes wide open when you start to fall
You go d-dancing in the dim lit club
Some pressure cooker crawls up on his knees
Flashing sensation like a one on one
Stomping around in the jitterbug breeze
Oo, how you shake me up and down
When we hit the nightspots on the town
Oh
It's all behind you when you do catch on
You keep your lovers in a penny jar
A real romantic with a sultry stare
You keep on messin' with your blonde, long hair yeah
Oo, how you shake me up and down
When we hit the nightspots on the town

The album ends with one of my favorite rock lyrical paragraph from the appropriately named song:   "Got a lot on my head"  (and most of its you)...lol  The perfect song for teenage male angst:

Trip down the alleyway, take the back stairs
I know it's good but good isn't fair
That's what you said, flashbulb in your eye
How can I hold you when you're waving goodbye.

Musically, I didn't remember the fast paced driving rhythm merging something like Germanic techno Kraftwerk and the heavy metal riffs of something like "Rush". An odd combination.   Which like a fast automobile is cold, mechanical and empty.  And odd.  Especially the juxtaposition of all these unrequited love lyrics which one would associate with sentimental toned ballads.  But there is nothing sentimental here.   Cold arrogant and detached.  Exactly what  I was called by my debate coach in high school.  My football coach called me overly sensitive and voted me the most improved player. What a cluster fuck...lol




 

No comments:

Post a Comment