Monday, April 9, 2012

World Wide Wine Consumption, Ch. 1

The Manchu

"The Chinese visitors always tell me I look Mongolian.   From the Manchu dynasty."

"When I was 18 years old I was appointed to be the next Empress of China.   This caused great controversy between me, my mother and my aunt as they were older and should have assumed the throne ahead of me.  Nevertheless, the Empress, my Grandmother made the decision.  However, days before my 19th birthday I disappeared without a trace because God had other plans for me."

But I thought you said you were originally from Taiwan--not China?

"Right, but this was in one of my previous lives.   Don't you believe in Karma and Rebirth?  Sometimes I have access to my ancestors, right before I wake up, or in dreams.  Have you ever had that experience? Well, for me, I have been told by many fortune tellers on different continents the same thing--that I come from royal blood.  But I tell you, it was better I was saved from being an Empress.  Because power corrupts absolutely.  I don't know if I would have been strong enough to resist it.  You have heard of the expression `heads will roll', right?  The etymology of that word comes from the practice of Chinese Emperors having a swordsman right next to them as their servants pay homage to them by cowtowing.  If the servant so much as coughed or breathed too loudly while the Emperor was passing by the sword would fall and the servants head would go rolling down the throne.  But I wanted no part of that.  And Jesus saved me from all of that power."

"I've had a good life.  I like it best in North America.   I told my husband that I didn't want to go back to Seychelles.   He was French and hated America and everything about America.  He didn't want anything to do with America.   But I couldn't get him to stay in one place at any time.   He was always restless.  Always wanted to move.  Always trying to change me.  He was never really happy with me.   Not in the 23 years we were married.  We still are married actually.   I owned this bar and nightclub in Seychelles.  It was doing very well.   But a British couple came in one day and wanted to buy the place.  They gave me good money for it.  I could not refuse the money the offered.   I couldn't see myself long term in West Africa anyway.   It was too African.  I like it much better here."

"That's Men in Black part two on the television.   I have to have cable because of my job."

I don't have a television.

"That's great.  Because TV is not good for kids.   TV and the movies these days are constantly getting more and more outrageous to keep the kids' interest.  Like that pug that talks.   And in the process the kids get numb.   They don't develop any social skills.   They don't know how to interact with people anymore."

"So my husband came over here for awhile, but then moved to Tahiti and is working in a bar with his sister.  He wanted me to come with him.   We used to talk to each other on Skype all the time.  But then he stopped calling me.   I don't want to go to Tahiti.  What would I do there?  All the men are drunk all the time because there is nothing there to do.  The women have to run the place.   Its so matriarchal--not like here.   I like it much better here.   Thank God we never had any kids."

"You know our wine had a 7 out of 8 rating on Yelp?"




No comments:

Post a Comment