Tuesday, December 20, 2016

Hunter Gatherer vs. Farmer

Reality has several advantages over fiction.  If you are cold, blankets are available. If you are not concerned about the cold, follow the blood arroyo to the place where the snake lays its eggs.   You can make that feeling go away if you want.

Well then, what is it that you want?   Do you think there may be something wrong with this world? Something hiding underneath?  I remember when I first started here.  Everything seemed so lifelike. Not anymore.

What if I told you that no choice you ever made was your own.   What if I told you I was here to set you free.  Indeed, I can take you to America--the land of the free.  In America, you can live any life you want.   Using that freedom, most people work in low paying demeaning jobs.

Are you still cold?   Take this.  It has kept me warm over many cold nights.  It can even give you a sense of purpose.

If you are so concerned about my well being, why don't you give me what I really want?  Real answers.

Hmmm.   Maybe, but there is something I'd like you to try first.  Its a game, a secret.  The goal is to find its center.

The Hunter:  I know how to hunt, to fish, to build a shelter, and I'm armed.  I'm free.   What do I need with you?  Don't tell me what to do.  You can make that feeling go away if you want.

The Farmer:  Mine is the God of Vengeance.   God may not always give us rain when we want, but he will punish your hubris my friend.  You can't trust the natural world, you must defend it.  Defend your property.  Defend your women.  You cannot make the feeling go away.  Not now, not ever.

Here we are at the blood arroyo.  Plenty of snakes, but I don't see any eggs.  I used to believe there was a path for everyone.  Even for the electoral college.  Even when you go to the Turkish art exhibit and the man in the dark suit pulls out the gun.  We all thought it was a theatrical flourish.   We were wrong.   I used to believe there was a path for everyone.





No comments:

Post a Comment