Tuesday, August 25, 2015

Flying like a Cement Kite

Susie Doodlevecter woke up to the repeated sensation of leathery sandpaper scraping back and forth across her cheek.

"Meow," said the Cat, redoubling its licking in an earnest attempt to wake up the slumbering American who spent the night sleeping on streets of Clermont-Ferrand.

"Stop, that you silly cat," said Susie, struggling to get upright.  "Where the hell am I?"

"Mmmmm....but you taste good, besides I'm not sure how long this dream is going to last."

"Huh?  Who the hell is talking to me?"

"That must have been one hell of a wine tasting excursion you were on last night to not remember me," said the cat, "but in any event, chop chop, wake up, we may not have much time before I wake up from this lucid dream."

"Like hell I am," said Susie pushing the cat away. "I'm the one who must be dreaming to have some mangy cat talking to me."

"I am not mangy.  And I always turn into a cat when I dream.  Therefore, you must be in my dream.  But now that you're awake you can help me.  Please open the red door up the steps there.  In my dreams I can usually do what I want, fly, go through walls and such but I seem to be grounded in this one. Funny, don't remember tasting anything before in my dreams either--but you taste good." "

"Are you crazy?  No, I must be crazy talking to a cat.  Where the hell am I?  Is that some kind of Church?"

Susie looked up and saw that she had evidently spent the night on a street in front of what looked like a cathedral .


"Its more like a monastery. A very special type of monastery.  You can tell by the red door.  More than praying goes on in there, if you know what I mean.  Hurry, go check the door tall American woman."

Suzie reluctantly stumbled up the steps and tried the door.   Locked.

"Its locked."

"Figures," said the cat.  "In that event, come and take my paw, we have places to go and people to see.  Different ways to see it through, all the same in the end--at least in my dreams."

"I am not in your dream you silly cat."

"Grab my paw, you shall see," said the cat extending it paw.

As soon as Susie touched the paw, the world went black and Susie was spun around on a carousel of oscillating colors.  She landed with a thump in front of another street.  Looking up, Susie saw another archway, still in red.

"I think we'll have better luck with that door," said the cat, nuzzling its cheek and whiskers up against her knee.

"How did you do that?"

"Do what?"  "Transport us here?  Ain't no big thing jellybean.   Like I said, this is my dream and I can do whatever the hell I damn well want.  We'll almost anything.   For some reason though I seem to be having problems opening doors.  Would you mind trying to open that door beyond the archway?"

"Why do you keep saying this is your dream?  This is not your dream.  This is my life.   I'm here in France to.....well, I can't seem to remember why I was here.  But I must have had a reason.   Maybe I was on vacation?  Maybe I worked here?  Maybe I was hit my head last night and have amnesia."

"Nope, Sherlock, sorry to disappoint but...well come to think of it, I don't remember ever having this detailed a discussion in my dreams before.   Or tasting anyone before.  So maybe you have a point.  Maybe this is a shared dream or something like that.  Anything is possible, at least I think so."

"Well," said Susie, "Since you have all the answers, why is it so important that you keep trying to open all these red doors?  What's the point?"

"Its a dream silly.  There is no point to anything we do in dreams.  Dreams follow their own laws of cause and effect --their own internal logic.  I want you to open the door because that's what happens in this dream.  I don't know why I know that.  There is no why.   This is just the dream where I ask you do open the door, the door opens, and we go see all the monks and nuns that have been fornicating and drinking premium french wine with each other for thousands of years.

"And why should I believe you?"

"It really doesn't matter whether you do or don't. Look, you've already opened it."

And the cat was right.  Without remembering that she did so, Susie looked and saw that she was already in the entryway beyond the red door.

"Welcome to our humble sanctuary,"  said a gruff voice.  "we don't get too many visitors in here.   But in in your case, we have made an exception."

"Don't forget about me!" said the cat, scurrying in next to her.  But by then, the scene had changed and Susie and the cat were someplace else entirely.  This was a dream, after all.

TO BE CONTINUED (because I know you want to find out about the fornicating monks and nuns--or was it the wine?).

No comments:

Post a Comment