Monday, June 1, 2015

Sometimes Nebulous, on the way to a Strut

"One of us should believe in something."

Oh, is that your problem with me?  That I don't believe in anything?  Or that I don't believe in anything you like?

"No, I really don't care what you believe in.   I just think you have a lousy taste in music.  And you think that you can dance, but you really can't.   Which also isn't a problem, but you think that you are going to teach me how to dance, which in and of itself isn't a problem, because I could probably use some dance instruction, but just not from you.  Because its obvious you have no sense of rhythm."

Then you must think I'm shallow.  Oh my God.  I'm that shallow.

"I didn't say you were shallow.   Why did you say that?  That's passive aggressive, thinking that I'm saying something about you that I'm not.   Most of the time I hardly even think of you, in fact."

 Its just ....it feels like the adventure is over, you know?  Like we won the war.   And I've been at war so long that I don't know how to do peace."

"Jesus, what kind of war have you been fighting?  I know I said you should stop taking your meds but...

Shhhh, you two, said the priest, suddenly appearing from behind the curtain where the couple was standing.   Can't you see you are in a Church?

The church was in St. Louis. Except it could not actually have been in St. Louis because it had ceiling art straight from the Gothic age.   And flying buttresses.   Even on its most distorted weekend, St. Louis never had any places of worship constructed more than a few hundred years ago.

 I had no interest in going in.  But I thought that since I live in this town, I should at least have a passing familiarity with the local tourist attractions.  The Church looked deserted anyway.   I could probably sneak in without anyone noticing me.

When I entered the vestibule, I was surprised that it was all modern and renovated, however when I ventured back behind the altar it opened up into a yawning cave.  And instead of pews all the penitents were standing on a platform which sloped downward into darkness.   As I walked down to the edge I realized that I was standing on a platform overlooking a chasm.   Moreover, the platform was starting to wobble.

"You've done it now.   This Church is going to fall into the pit now all because you had to take a closer look over the edge."

I didn't do anything.   Can't you hear the moaning and wailing coming from below?  What's going on with this Church?

"Its just metaphorical, silly.   You know, we are in a Church.  Probably a Catholic Church given its age.  Why shouldn't there be a grinding and gnashing of teeth?   It just a device used to thicken the plot."

I have no idea what you are talking about.

I strove to keep my balance to avoid falling down into the pit.   Back up by the altar, a priest was yelling at me to come back, that the platform was off limits.  Meanwhile a gaggle of altar boys were running to the other end of the platform to help balance it out.  Eventually, the platform righted itself and leveled out.  I was relieved.   But not before I saw a set of steps leading down into the pit from the side.   I decided to investigate.  I was once again alone on the platform, the priests and altar boys mysteriously disappeared.

"Hey, wait for me.   Don't leave me alone in this creepy Church.   Are you sure they want us to go down those steps?"


The second float is a bad trip. More oysters are consumed at my old stomping grounds.  The moonlight hotel is in sight for my 50th anniversary of being. I am serenaded by Sarajane.  There are all kinds of foreign speakers around me.  But they eat my grass fed butter without delay. As I sit on my espresso and read to transmetropilitan

 

No comments:

Post a Comment