Thursday, December 20, 2012

Things that Don't Go Together, Ch. 13

Devo's "Whip it" and Kendrick Lamar's " Swimming Pools (Drank)"

Ok, so word on the street is that I'm not much of rap fan.   I've asked around and confirmed that this is indeed the case.

But this whole "Swimming Pools" song keeps reverberating.  What does this 2012 rap song from a denizen of South Central have to do with a bunch of 1980s Kent State art school geeks whipping it?

I think its all the in the chorus of the imperatives.   Compare the directives given by Mr. Lamar's internal narrator:

Pour up drank, head shot drank
Sit down drank, stand up drank
Pass out drank, wake up drank
Faded drank, faded drank

With those from Mr. Casale, the author of the Devo lyrics:

Shape it up
Get straight
Go forward
Move ahead
Try to detect it
(It's not too late)
To whip it
Whip it good.

The "Swimming Pool" chorus reflects the dehumanized alcohol infused world of the rap star whose life is compressed into simple directives:  wake up, drink, stand up, pass out etc.  The song has two high points:   The chorus' ending instruction "Faded" is not only a metaphor the dissipation of the protagonists life, but the music also fades, symbolizing the fading potential of the rap star continuing on alcohol paved path.   Groovy.

Even more groovy is the feeble attempt of the super ego (labeled the "conscience") to propel the young Kendrick on a more wholesome path:


Okay, now open your mind up and listen to me, Kendrick
I'm your conscience, if you do not hear me
Then you will be history, Kendrick
I know that you're nauseous right now
And I'm hopin' to lead you to victory, Kendrick
If I take another one down
I'ma drown in some poison abusin' my limit
I think that I'm feelin' the vibe
I see the love in her eyes, I see the feelin'
The freedom is granted as soon as the damage of vodka arrive
This how you capitalize
This is parental advice
Then apparently, I'm over influenced by what you are doin'
I thought I was doin' the most then someone said to me

Still, the shrill voice of the conscience, like that of Kendrick's mother, is no match for the swimming pool filled with beer.   In the end, I see Kendrick faded, literally and figuratively.


Devo's emasculated protagonist is similarly reduced to following robotic directives.  I don't get the sense there is any alcohol involved.  This is Devo after all.  These dudes stay at home on saturday night and make fun of the joko homos who cruise the streets after the football games picking up cheerleaders.   After graduation Devo denizens bemoan their long commutes in traffic jams in their silicon valley jobs.   I think I'd personally prefer the swimming pool.   To begin with, there are more chicks.   Its all about the chicks, right?  Maybe there is some good Imperial Stout in that swimming pool.  

Devo has no mother and no conscience.  Instead of the shrill mother telling Kendrick he needs to change his evil ways, all Devo has is an empty platitude.  When that problem comes along, you must whip it.  Like a caricature of a Dale Carnegie course they learned in a weekend seminar.   How to win friends, influence people, over come all problems is 7 easy steps.  You can whip it!



Its a blizzard out there today.   Yesterday was 3rd at trivia, followed by homespun and old rasputin.  Lucy and Linus playing christmas time on piano.  Studio 360

No comments:

Post a Comment