Thursday, December 1, 2011

Rostov-on-Don (2)

24 July 1942


Dearest Marina,

I hope all is well with you and your family.   I write today from inside my tank from the city of Rostov near the Don river.  Three days ago, my battalion entered the northern part of the city.  Our battalion was consolidated into the 5th SS Wiking PzkGr with the other volunteers.  We have accredited our Slovakian fatherland well in battle and your father would be honored.   Our German comrades have assigned us the most difficult part of the street fighting, and we have been clearing the Russians out block by block.  Fighting has been fierce and you will be happy that I have remained in my tank to avoid the snipers.  Josef and I have been duly honored with our new Panzer III L tanks with the new main guns which have proved effective against the Russian tanks.  Yesterday, we knocked out a Soviet T-34 tank and immobilized a heavy KV-1 tank from the side.   Our pioneer squad finished off the heavy tank with satchel charges. 

We have been successful in flanking the enemy.   The Russians are withdrawing.  We have orders to clear the way for the  Brandenburg Special Purpose Training Regiment to take the main bridge over the Don.   I am not certain where our next orders will lead us.   Sturmbannfuhrer Muhlenkamp has been tight lipped, but rumors are we will proceed next to take the Russian oilfields in the Caucuses before the weather cools.  I hope to see the Black Sea before we have to move out.

You are in my heart.   I could not endure this wasteland without your strength and warmth.   Blessing to your family.    With great love, Michal.

   

No comments:

Post a Comment