Sunday, December 9, 2018

How to Sit with Someone Having a Difficult Psychedelic Experience

Here is what I feel after the MAPS training and my own thoughts in getting ready for the podcast today:

First I imagine creating a space for just listening to the person having the difficult experience.  Don't say anything.  I imagine doing gassho (bowing) just to let them know you are there.  I think back on my experience and believe that anything they were trying to give me would be misinterpreted.  For example, don't offer them water.  It may be misinterpreted as offering them alcohol to keep them asleep and in an eternal hell realm.  Yes, some people think like that in extremis.   I don't necessarily know who, but....

I guess the key would be to listen.  That's basically the best thing to do in any situation I suppose.  Anything you say or do may provoke a negative reaction.   I remember being told that I was having a bad trip.  I did not understand what that meant and it only added to the confusion.

On an intentional level, creating an intention of support and openness would make sense.  Create a space for them for the experience to play themselves out.

The MAPS training also offered other interesting insights:

(1) Be completely honest.  In the heightened state, the person can cut though the bullshit.  I remember in my own experience I could sense that the shaman were afraid for me.  They probably didn't want any shenanigans on their watch.  The shaman from Columbia was not phased.  But the american shaman's were.  Keep that in mind.  If you are afraid for them, tell them, you are right I am afraid, but I'm always afraid and we can get through this....

(2)Match their energy levels.  If they are rolling on the ground join them.  Don't occupy any position designating authority.  Don't stand over them. 
If they are jumping up and down, do the same.  I remember jumping up and down during my adventure.


No comments:

Post a Comment