Tuesday, January 5, 2016

Drinking a Microbrew in my Microhouse in the Microcosm

Fred:  "I now call to order the first meeting of the Barrio-Santa Cruz tiny house community."

Me:  Cut the crap, Fred.  We are downsizing everything.  Even the bullshit about having rules of order. Can't we just address the problem without a formal meeting?  I thought we were all supposed to be anarcho-syndicalists in this new community anyway?

Fred:  "Listen (looking me directly in the eyes), as Vince Lombardi once said:  "Perfection is not attainable, but if we chase perfection, we can catch excellence."  "So I move that we follow established rules of order."

Me:  Fred (now I look directly into Fred's eyes), "Perfectionism is our most compulsive way of keeping ourselves small, a kind of psychoemotional contortionism that gives the illusion of reaching for greatness while constricting us into increasingly suffocating smallness," (here I was quoting M.Popov who was paraphrasing Ursula K. LeGuin)  (right here).

Fred:  Are you saying that because I live in a small house, it is a metaphor for something?

Me:  Quite the opposite.  But I'm sure you recognize the symbolism.  We believe that we invent symbols.  But the truth is they invent us; we are their unruly creations.  And I'm feeling very unruly now--in a purely symbolic sort of way.

Fred:  wow, for an Anarchist, you're getting very didactic.  Riddle me this Mr. symbol man, how big is a man's life? How do we measure it?

Me:  I don't know, by the size of their heart?

Fred:  When you see life from the beginning, life is large because you anticipate much.  However, I with a vantage point closer to its termination, know how little there has been.  

Me:  Fred, there is hope for you after all.  What scares me is that I'm almost your age.  

Fred:  "Well I made the motion, is there a second?"

Me:  Can I abstain?  Look around, we are the only ones here.  What does that represent to you?  It should tell you that there is a party at the Vanzetti tiny house.  They are tapping one of his new homemade kegs. He's called his new creation the "Mad Cacoa Monk does a Coffee Beer Buzz."  Everyone must be there. 

Fred:  "Ok, but there have been complaints about you all."

Me:  So someone complained about noises coming from the DoodleVector tiny house at night.   Ok, we get it.  We promise it will stop.  Not sure how we are going to accomplish that, but hell, we promise, we will think of something.  If all else fails we will give everyone Bose noise reduction headphones next Christmas or something. 




No comments:

Post a Comment