Sunday, November 2, 2014

Come to the Honeycomb Hideout

It was 1983, and freaking cold in Gillette, Wyoming over Christmas break.   I was home having just completed my first semester college finals.   I walked through the snow to the record store that was way out of town in a trailer. It was appropriately called "The Last Record Store."   There were no other record stores for another 180 miles until you came to the mall in Casper.  And the record store there totally sucked. And I thought to myself as I looked up into the cold starry sky that "This must be the place."

I knew what I was looking for and quickly came out with my prize, the Talking Heads Album "Speaking in Tongues".  And I listened to the hell out to that for the next three years or so.   And when I wasn't listening to it, Gerry from across the hall with the much louder stereo was happy to oblige.

Then the album went into storage for many decades.

Then it was 2009 and the album came out of storage at the Homestead.   And we danced and danced to the vinyl like it was 1983 all over again.   And then we were in Bonaroo in Tennessee and after Elvis Costello kicked Beatle Bob off the stage we crept up to where David Byrne was going to sing, and sing he did, all dressed in white like an angel:


And as I looked up into the sweltering summer sky in that field I thought that "This must be the place."

But the world kept rotating despite my best efforts and it was 2014 and now the same album was being played in movie with Sean Penn and David Byrne.   The name of the movie was even called "This must be the place."

Then it became many many years later.   Maybe even several lifetimes.   I was in a church that was like a giant honeycomb. The church was empty save a lone figure at the front of the altar playing a giant organ. I listened to the deep bass notes and recognized the melody with a smile.  And David Byrne smiled at me as he played:

Home is where I want to be
Pick me up and turn me around
I feel numb, burn with a weak heart
Guess I must be having fun

The less we say about it the better
Make it up as we go along
Feet on the ground, head in the sky
It's okay, I know nothing's wrong, nothing

I got plenty of time
You got light in your eyes
And you're standing here beside me
I love the passing of time
Never for money, always for love
Cover up and say goodnight, say goodnight





No comments:

Post a Comment